Sunday 21 October 2012

Sweet Chilli Sauce - the result of an abundant chilli harvest

This year, I was blessed with an abundant chilli harvest. I've been growing chillies in the garden for a couple of year now, sometimes with results that were not worth mentioning. This year, however, I discovered the 'Chinese Five Color' in the online shop where I usually buy all sorts of seeds and seedlings to grow in the vegetable patch. I loved the idea of having five colours of chilli on one plant and I also find the plant itself really pretty.





The plant seems to have been a good choice, because the amount of chillies it grew was enormous. And with autumn being in full swing now, I had to pick the remaining chillies from the plant to prevent them from going bad. But what to do with a pile of chillies? After some web research, I came across this very easy recipe for sweet chilli sauce. It is really quick and the result is absolutely yummy.

Ingredients:
2-3 chillies
1 tsp sea salt
180ml water
120g sugar (I used brown sugar)
60ml vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp water

Put all ingredients, except for the corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water, into a high bowl and blend either with a hand blender or food processor. Bring mixture to the boil and let it simmer for around 5 minutes. In the meantime, mix the corn starch with the water and stir well. Slowly pour the starch mixture into the boiling chilli sauce and keep stirring to allow the sauce to thicken.
Pour the hot sauce into twist-off glasses or bottles by using a small funnel and allow it to cool down.


The sauce tastes great with chicken, turkey or any Asian-style or inspired dish. It has a nice mixture hotness from the chillies, which is sweet and fruity at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment