So, here is how I made the cupcakes. You can use any type of cupcake or muffin as a base. Simply go for your favourite recipe. I decided to make some lemon cupcakes, because I like the combination of lemon and cococut.
Ingredients for lemon cupcakes (makes 12):
300g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
150g soft butter
Lemon flavouring (as much as you like)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Insert your cupcake cases into the muffin tin.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking poweder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix eggs, butter, milk and flavouring in a second bowl using an electric whisk.
- Add the mixture of the dry ingredients to the egg-butter mixture and carefully mix the two together by using a spoon.
- Spoon the dough into the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
Cookie Monster decoration:
What your need:
125 g icing sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
Blue food colouring
100g marzipan paste
12 biscuits (your favourite type)
What to do:
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon joice. Add some more lemon juice if the icing is too thick.
- Pour the desiccated coconut into a bowl and add some food colouring. Stir well and make sure that the flakes are evenly coloured. If you are not satisfied with the colouring result, add some more colouring.
- Take a cupcake and dip the top into the icing mix. Let any excess drip off. Then dip the cupcake into the coconut flakes, carefully movng it around to ensure that all spots on the cupcake are covered with coconut flakes.
- Remove the cupcake from the coconut flakes and place it on a tray to dry.
- Repeat the procedure until all cupcakes are covered in blue coconut flakes. Let the topping dry.
- In the meantime, devide the marzipan paste into 24 equal portions. Roll each portion between your hands to form a small ball. For each cupcake, take two balls and place them on the top of the cupcake. Carefully push them onto the surface of the cupcake to form the eyes of the Cookie Monster. They should stay in place without having to add extra icing sugar.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (careful, do not overheat). Dip a toothpick into the chocolate to take up a very small amount on the tip of the toothpick.
- Carefully dip the chocolate on the marzipan balls to form the pupil. Repeat for each eye.
- Take a knife and insert the tip into the cupcake where you want to place Cookie Monster's mouth. Take a biscuit and insert it into the small hole you've cut.